Custody Rights of Unmarried Parents in California

As a parent you have rights and you have responsibilities. The law does not distinguish between married and unmarried parents, or between those who are heterosexual and those who are lesbian or gay.

Child Custody Legal Rights of Unmarried Parents

At Stolar & Fischer in Los Angeles, our lawyers represent unmarried parents in custody, visitation, and child support matters. In addition to serving clients in L.A. and surrounding communities, the attorneys provide legal services for out-of-state parents. If you would like to speak with a member of the firm, please contact our office at 310-853-5115 and make arrangements for a consultation.

Your advocates in child custody.
Speak with an attorney. 310-853-5115

Custody and visitation for unmarried fathers

An unmarried father does not automatically have the right to spend time with his child. If you are a father, our lawyers will help you work out a parenting plan arrangement that allows you to participate in custody and visitation. Even if you already have an informal agreement with your child's mother for custody and visitation, it is important to formalize it and guarantee your access to your child.

Unmarried parents and child support

A child is entitled to support from both parents. A father's legal obligation is often established through paternity testing. When determining the child support obligation of each parent, the court will consider the incomes of the parents and, if a legal custody and visitation agreement is in place, the amount of time the child spends at the home of each parent.

  • Creative Child Custody Agreements
  • Fathers' Rights
  • Grandparents' Rights
  • Paternity
  • Stepparent Adoption
  • Stepped-Up Visitation

Protecting the rights of unmarried parents

If you are an unmarried parent, either father or mother, it is important that you establish your legal rights and protect your child. To speak with a child custody and support attorney who understands the concerns of unmarried parents, please call us at 310-853-5115 today.

Se habla español