Stolar Law Group recently celebrated the verdict of the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case of Hodges v. Obergefell in June. We are proud that our nation has chosen to protect the rights and freedoms of all individuals, regardless of their sexual orientation.
Same-sex couples who had been previously denied the right to marry in their states can now enjoy the following benefits and legal protections:
- Employment benefits, including the ability to purchase insurance through their spouse’s employer, take family or bereavement leave, or collect wages, compensation, or retirement benefits on behalf of a diseased spouse
- Government benefits, including the ability to collect Social Security, Medicare, veterans’ benefits, military benefits, and disability benefits for spouses
- Tax benefits, including the option to file joint tax returns
- Family benefits, including the ability to adopt children together, apply to be foster parents, or be guaranteed equitable property division during a divorce
- Consumer benefits, including family insurance rates, reduced tuition, and other incentives only available to married couples
- Medical benefits, including the right to visit a hospitalized spouse during restricted hours or being able to act as a medical proxy
- Death benefits, like the ability to make a spouse’s funeral arrangements
- Estate planning benefits, allowing surviving spouses to inherit a portion of a deceased spouse’s estate
The fight for this great victory has been a long one. As lawyers, we believe that it is important for all people to enjoy equal protection in the eyes of the law, especially in the area of family law, where so much can be at stake. Our firm is available to work with you on family law issues like LGBT marriage/divorce, prenuptial agreements, and child custody. We have received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau for the dedication and service we provide to our clients in helping them to achieve their goals. See what we can do for you by requesting a free case evaluation!
For more information, contact the Los Angeles family law attorneys at Stolar & & Associates, A Professional Law Corporation to discuss your family law needs.