Los Angeles Child Support Lawyer
Do You Need Child Support in Beverly Hills?
All parents have a financial obligation to support their children. If you are in the process of filing for divorce, the quality of your life and your child's life will be strongly influenced by the court's decision regarding child support payments. With 40 years of experience, our Los Angeles child support attorneys have made appearances in thousands of cases. We know the courts, and the courts know us. We are well equipped to advise you about a wide range of support-related matters.
Our firm can assist you with child support matters such as:
Have more questions? Click the following links to learn more about each topic:
- How Child Support Is Calculated
- College Expenses & Child Support
- Day Care Costs & Child Support
- Child Support for High-Wage Earners
- Child Support for the Self-Employed
- Child Support for Unmarried Parents
- How Long Does Child Support Last?
- What to Do After Receiving a Summons and Complaint?
- Child Support for Special Needs Children
Schedule an initial consultation online or call us at (818) 600-6534.
Calculating College Expenses & Child Support in California
The ability to pay for children's college education is an important consideration for many divorcing parents. Tuition and other costs have spiraled upward over the past few decades and the prospect of handling these bills can be even more imposing once divorce creates two separate households.
Some divorcing parents hold misconceptions and make mistaken assumptions that college expenses must be shared. In California, there is no law specifically addressing either custodial or noncustodial parents' responsibilities in this area. The costs of college or university education are simply not addressed in child support laws or calculations.
You should consider retaining a Los Angeles child support lawyer for the following reasons:
- Our firm is dedicated to helping you project future expenses and envision life after divorce.
- Having an attorney who is a skilled financial analyst and resourceful negotiator may enable you to reach a settlement that covers college expenses such as the cost of tuition.
- We also provide a full range of estate planning services and can direct you to qualified financial services experts for help establishing a strategy for covering college expenses.
How Do Day Care Costs Get Factored Into Child Support?
In most divorces involving young children, daycare costs are included as an "add-on" within the child support order—as are the costs of health insurance and medical care. A basic guideline is that the costs of child care required for the primary custodial parent to work full-time are to be shared equally, but many factors can enter into the issuance of this order. Ensuring that you receive everything you are entitled to—or that the child support you are ordered to pay is not excessive—could very well depend on the knowledge of your divorce lawyer.
Disputes may arise over issues such as the following:
- Payment of a nanny or other care provider who may perform other services in addition to day care, such as housekeeping or after-hours services
- The desire of a parent who currently stays at home with a young child to continue doing so, necessitating additional child or spousal support due to a lack of employment income
Handling Child Support Cases Involving High-Wage Earners
In 1992, the California legislature adopted a formula to calculate child support that is based on the incomes of both parents and amount of time the child spends with each parent. However, when the father's pay is measured by millions, the court uses other factors to assure the necessary support payments are made.
At Stolar Law Group, our clients know that they can count on our Beverly Hills child support lawyers for confidentiality and for a fair resolution.
We represent mothers and fathers in high-earner child support cases, including:
- Professional athletes
- Business figures
Determining Child Support for Self-Employed Parents
We at Stolar Law Group know how to conduct financial analysis and take other steps necessary to earn just child support orders for our clients. This includes handling many cases involving entertainers working in Hollywood, as well as entrepreneurs, high-earning consultants, and others with income that can be challenging to pinpoint and project for the future.
Any divorce, paternity claim, or other family law matter involving a self-employed parent calls for counsel from a resourceful and financially savvy attorney. Although full financial disclosure is required by law, disputes over actual income, necessary expenses, and other issues are common in such cases. Let us help ensure that your rights remain protected at all times.
Working closely with highly qualified forensic accountants, investigators, and other expert resources as necessary, our lawyers are well equipped to:
- Present the most full and accurate accounting possible of an individual's self-employment income for purposes of establishing child support
- Represent you in a contested divorce involving a dispute over hidden income and assets, including providing tenacious advocacy in matters of spousal support and property division
- Handle any other complex family law negotiations or litigation
I Received a 'Summons And Complaint.' Now What?
If you receive a Summons and Complaint in the mail, you have 30 days to complete the paperwork and file the Answer form with the court. If you don't file the Answer form, you are essentially agreeing to pay the child support amount that was listed in the Summons and Complaint. If you do file the Answer form, you will have a chance to appear in court.
Turn to Our Beverly Hills Child Support Lawyers
Our firm is a proven resource if you need help getting all the child support you deserve as a primary or sole custodial parent—or if you are a self-employed entertainer, businessperson or contractor whose financial disclosures are being challenged in a family law matter. Our attorneys focus exclusively on California family law and related financial matters.
To speak with our child support attorneys, please call our firm.
When it comes to child support matters, each parent is expected to provide for the children. If the child's parents are not married, then the court will issue an order regarding support payments that are intended to provide the custodial parent with the necessary resources to provide for the child.
At Stolar Law Group, our child support attorneys in Beverly Hills can explain the child support guidelines and how they will affect your specific situation. Family courts follow standard state guidelines for child support. The court has the discretion, however, to stray from or to waive the guidelines if a child's special needs or a parent's special circumstances suggest a more equitable arrangement.
In most situations, the calculation of child support is based on factors such as:
- The incomes of both parents
- The amount of time the child spends at each residence
They went to war for me
This Law firm is truly the best team I have ever had the pleasure of working with. They are worth every penny that you pay them and more. I hadn't seen my daughter in almost 2 years and they went to war for me.- Xavior P.
You have a good heart!!!
Words cannot express how grateful & thankful I am to have met you. You have been so supportive at the lowest point in my life, and today we meet at the highest point in my life.- Former Client
They did a great job
Steven and his team moved right in on a matter involving a close friend who was in very serious trouble. I was very impressed with the thoroughness and thoughtfulness displayed. Although they came in on an emergency basis, they did a great job.- Former Client
Unmarried? Our Child Support Lawyers Are Here for You.
When a child is born outside of marriage, that child needs the support of both parents.
- If you are the mother of a child, we can guide you through the process of establishing paternity and determining child support. Since such cases often involve high-earning celebrities or sports figures, we will deal with the issues quietly but effectively.
- If you are the father of a child, you have the right to spend time with your child and the obligation to provide for the child's support. Ask your lawyer about paternity testing. We will negotiate child support that fits the circumstances and meets your financial obligations.
How Long Does Child Support Last?
Often, California law requires a parent to pay support until his or her child turns 18. If the child is unmarried and still enrolled full-time in high school, the support order may continue until age 19. In other rare circumstances, such as if the child has special needs, the support order may continue in effect even longer. For this reason, you should contact a skilled lawyer.
Award-Winning Family Law Attorney
With over 40 years of dedicated experience, we are trusted not only within the legal community but also by the media. We bring facts to the table and explain the law in layman’s terms without complicating it with legal jargon.
Innovative Legal Strategies
Our goal is to help you and your family find peace and resolution. Sometimes, that means coming up with creative solutions to unique situations. We work directly with you to ensure we obtain the best possible outcome on your behalf.
Focused On Your Best Interests
For many, it can be intimidating to meet with a lawyer when you don’t know what to expect. It can also be emotional. We create a comfortable atmosphere and work with our clients as if they are family.
Child Support for Special Needs Children
Any divorce with children involved creates significant concern about their development, well-being, and financial support for both parents. If you have a child who is mentally or physically disabled, these concerns may be especially serious because of the costs associated with providing appropriate care, special education, adaptive equipment or other needs.
At Stolar Law Group, our child support lawyers in Los Angeles can handle all the details related to your child support matter. Our goal is to help you reach a solution that has your child's best interests in mind.
Determining appropriate child support for children with autism, learning disabilities, physical challenges, and chronic illnesses can be challenging. The amount available for a major monthly "add-on" to any child support obligation requires careful analysis, and disputes over your child's best interests and necessary expenses may arise. Although both you and your divorcing spouse may want to do all you can to give your child the best achievable quality of life, available financial resources may be stretched with the establishment of separate households.
We understand the many complex considerations in arriving at custody arrangements and calculating child support for special needs children, including:
- The substantial burden on a custodial parent facing extraordinary child care expenses, often made more challenging by his or her inability to work full-time
- The need for open negotiation and willingness to collaborate in meeting your child's needs relative to comfort, routines, transportation, and more
- Possible justification for a child support order that extends beyond the age of 18
Our child support attorneys in Los Angeles will emphasize sensitivity to your child's needs while carefully assessing the financial realities of your situation—informed by research and testimony from experts ideal for your situation if needed. Our Beverly Hills-based firm has extensive experience advocating for parents of special needs children in family law settlement negotiations and litigation.
Representing All Individuals & Families Throughout California
- Los Angeles
- Bel Air
- Beverly Hills
- Century city
- Porter Ranch
- San Frenando valley
- santa clarita
- SHERMAN OAKS
- STUDIO CITY
- THOUSAND OAKS
- TOLUCA LAKE
- VALLEY VILLAGE
- WOODLAND HILLS
- & BEYOND