Stolar And Associates
  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Family Law
  4.  | 
  5. Asset And Property Division
  6.  | Division Of Personal And Inherited Property

About Personal And Inherited Assets: Legal Help For Division Of Property Division

In California, the court has broad discretion in apportioning marital assets and debt between divorcing spouses. Community property can be divided in any proportion the judge feels is equitable, or fair, after the consideration of a long list of factors. I am attorney Steven Stolar. If you are contemplating divorce, it is essential that you seek the assistance of my firm, Stolar & Associates, A Professional Law Corporation. I provide my clients with extensive experience in California community property law.

I will help you identify all types of individual and community property you may have an interest in, including the following:

  • Retirement accounts
  • Securities
  • IRAs
  • 401(k)s
  • Trusts

I will help you determine the most efficient and beneficial terms. When offering counsel regarding the division of marital assets and debt, my approachable legal team will explain the tax implications of each strategy in light of alimonychild support, and other considerations.

I offer initial consultations to prospective clients. For scheduling, call 310-800-2132.

Is It Separate, Commingled Or Marital Property?

If the property was brought into the marriage by one spouse (or inherited by that spouse during the marriage) and was kept separate throughout the marriage, it will most likely remain a protected asset for that spouse. On the other hand, if inherited funds were commingled with the other spouse’s financial resources during the marriage, some or all of the inheritance may have lost its status as separate property. That portion of the inheritance that is now community property will be considered part of the marital estate to be divided.

Can You Keep Inherited Real Estate Property Intact?

It may be difficult to divide an estate when inherited real estate has become community property. It may require selling the property. On the other hand, you may have other assets that you can cede to your spouse in exchange for keeping the inherited property whole.

The following kinds of assets can be used for negotiating:

  • Investments
  • Collectibles
  • Vehicles
  • Retirement assets

Your business interests and career may be essential concerns. Whether you own a company, have a partnership interest in a professional practice, or are working on a film or recording project, you need a lawyer who can assertively guard your financial future.

Businesses, Entertainment Projects And Complex Assets

If you or your spouse has an interest in a partnership, limited liability company (LLC), or another closely held company, my firm will provide thorough and analytic services to protect your interest in the business and maximize the resources involved.

I can also provide you with legal counsel regarding:

  • Business valuation
  • Division of partnership
  • Transfer of shares
  • Partial buyout
  • Transfer of business control

I enter each California divorce case I handle with determination to understand every nuance and find the best strategic approach. In matters of company, project, and franchising valuation, I turn to the most qualified industry experts, forensic accountants, and other professionals available to assess our clients’ positions.

Speak With An Experienced Attorney Today

If you need help tackling a personal or inherited property matter, you have come to the right place. I can develop a detailed stance and proposal designed to accomplish your goals through negotiation – or skilled courtroom litigation if that is what defending you requires.

No situation is too challenging for my firm; for example:

  • Arriving at an accurate valuation of any family business, legal or medical practice, corporate holdings, partnership interest or other complex assets
  • Evaluating entertainment projects that are not yet monetized
  • Projecting future value of franchising, royalties and other aspects of projects in progress

Give My Firm A Call

Get the legal representation you need throughout the process of your divorce: call 310-800-2132 or send an email inquiry.

Family Law