At Stolar & Associates, client safety is important to us. During this time we are happy to provide over the phone consultations to ensure your safety.

Your Children Deserve Support

Child Support Modifications

Can Child Support Be Modified in California?

Parents are required to help support their children in the case of divorce or separation. Child support is an important aspect that will greatly affect the lives of you and your child following such an event. Child support orders are unique to each state, but in California and most others, it is generally calculated based on factors such as the incomes of both parents and the amount of time the child spends at each residence.

Though this calculation may initially be effective, circumstances change. Especially in the case of child support, one or both parents may find themselves in a new financial situation and need to modify the child support order. If this happens, it is helpful to know different circumstances that may necessitate a change and how to proceed. More than that, having a Los Angeles child support lawyer to guide you through this time can be essential to a successful outcome for you and your child.

If one or both parents wish to change the child support order, they may need to prove that an adequate “change of circumstance” has taken place since the last order was made. An exception might be made if the judge decided on a child support amount that was less than the guideline amount, in which case the parents would NOT have to evidence a change in circumstances and can ask to change the amount at any time.

If an arrangement on a new amount of support can be settled between the parents (and the Local Child Service Agency, if involved in the case), they may be able to hand a written stipulation to the judge for signature.

If one or both of the parents cannot settle on a change in amount, at least one of the parents must ask for a modification through the court.

Even if you verbally agreed to change the child support amount with the other parent, be sure to carefully write it out and obtain a judge’s signature. Otherwise, the change will not hold up in court, and the existing child support amount will not be changed.

In case of a change in employment or any other factor that impacts child support payments, do not hesitate to request a modification to the child support order. The judge can ONLY change your child support from the date you filed your paperwork requesting the change. This means that if you were suddenly unemployed, but filed for the changed amount four months after the fact, you may still be responsible for paying four months of child support at the old amount plus interest on late child support payments.

The most common reasons to seek modification of child support include:

  • A significant increase or unavoidable decrease in either parent's income;
  • One or both parents have lost their job;
  • One parent has been to prison;
  • One parent has a child from a different relationship;
  • Your child's needs have changed due to medical expenses, a special class, or an activity;
  • Agreed-upon or litigated changes in the child custody and visitation arrangement;
  • Parental relocation, adding significantly to the expenses for visitation;
  • Major changes in children's financial needs due to health problems or other serious causes;
  • Changes in any factors used to determine child support.

How Do I Make a Change to an Existing Support Order?

At Stolar & Associates, A Professional Law Corporation, we can assist you with seeking a modification to your existing child support order if circumstances have significantly changed. Perhaps you lost your job or were forced to accept a lower-paying position. Perhaps the other parent gained a much higher-paying job and is now able to contribute more. Perhaps you remarried and now have stepchildren to support in addition to your biological children. Perhaps your child's needs have changed and his or her care-related expenses have increased. We will carefully review your case. If a modification is possible, we will help you seek one from the appropriate California family law court.

Thinking About Modifying Your Child Support Order?

California child support orders are based on parents' financial situations and circumstances at the time of their divorce. In the years that follow, a wide array of substantial changes in circumstances may justify modification of those orders. While we at Stolar & Associates, A Professional Law Corporation primarily focus on divorce representation and development of prenuptial agreements, we also take action for people in need of post-divorce modifications. We can readily assess your case—whether you want a modification or need to defense against one—and provide guidance.

Consult with Our Proven Los Angeles Child Support Attorneys

People who try to handle modifications informally without legal counsel take serious risks. Ex-spouses may be willing to make trade-offs at one point but decide later to enforce the letter of the law, for example - and unpaid child support is never a forgivable debt. Whether you are dealing with complex life changes involving your children, believe your ex-spouse is hiding income, or have other serious concerns, we encourage you to contact us for counsel on your legal rights and options. We welcome clients from all throughout Los Angeles County, CA.

Explore your options during an initial consultation.
Call us at (310) 984-1411​!

We Treat Our Clients Like Family

  • They went to war for me

    “This Law firm is truly the best team I have ever had the pleasure of working with. They are worth every penny that you pay them and more.  I hadn't seen my daughter in almost 2 years and they went to war for me.”

    Xavior P.

  • I hadn't seen my daughter in almost 2 years and they went to war for me.

    “This Law firm is truly the best team I have ever had the pleasure of working with. They are worth every penny that you pay them and more. I hadn't seen my daughter in almost 2 years and they went to war for me. I mean it was crazy how hard they worked to get me my parental rights. Their team is so strong that my baby's mother's law firm had to send 3 lawyers just to battle one of Steven's well-trained lawyers. He fought off 3 soulless devils and finally won custody /visitation for me. Robert Curtis is a warrior in the courtroom and totally destroyed the evil lawyers that were trying their best to burn down my life. Anthony is an incredible lawyer too. He is just amazing support. Their assistant Jenny is the greatest thing next to being your mother, because of the way that she sincerely cares about you during process. I truly used to despise lawyers until I met Steven Stolar and his associates.They are like the Super Friends of Law Firms!!!!!.....Steven Stolar for Mayor!!!!!!!!!”

    Xavior P.

  • You kept encouraging me to keep the faith regarding my kids, and now I see only bright days ahead.

    “Thank you. I appreciate everything about you. You held my hand through some dark days. You kept encouraging me to keep the faith regarding my kids, and now I see only bright days ahead.”

    Former Client

  • You guys were the best ever, you are my friends for life.

    “Wow! I can’t believe it. I’m officially divorced. My home sale just closed yesterday. My kids are talking to me again. This is a great week! You guys were the best ever, you are my friends for life. You took great care of me throughout. I’m not sure if I’m going down that road again, but if I ever do and, God forbid, l get into a pickle again, you are my teammates! Thank you again for everything!!”

    Former Client

  • I'm thanking God I contacted your firm!

    “Thank you both for all of your help. I'm thanking God I contacted your firm!”

  • Lead Counsel 2020
  • Lawyers of Distinction
  • Lead Counsel Rated
  • Avvo Clients' Choice Award, Divorce
  • The National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers
  • Nation's Top  1% 2018
  • Beverly Hills Bar
  • Avvo 10.0 Superb Top Attorney Family
  • ABA