Protecting Children In Beverly Hills And Los Angeles
At my firm, Stolar & Associates, A Professional Law Corporation, in Beverly Hills, I help my clients work out physical and legal child custody arrangements that allow them to maintain the strongest possible relationships with their children. California child custody law dictates that child custody and visitation determinations are to be made from the standpoint of the child’s best interest.
Why Choose A Custody Lawyer From Stolar & Associates?
I am Steven Stolar, a Los Angeles child custody lawyer. As your legal counsel, I will help you work out a parenting plan that will protect your parental rights. I have over three decades of experience and have worked with many experts in the field, giving my clients even more of an advantage.
My firm provides legal representation for custody cases involving:
- Custody of special needs children
- Fathers’ rights
- Rights of unmarried parents
- Interstate custody disputes
- Visitation and parenting
- Grandparents’ rights
- Stepparent adoption
- Children of domestic partnerships
- Creative child custody agreements
- Emergency custody for children in danger
Discuss your child custody rights and legal options today – call 310-800-2132 to speak with a Los Angeles child custody lawyer at Stolar & Associates.
Click the link below for fast navigation:
In the state of California, courts are primarily interested in what is known as the “best interest of the child.” That means that they will determine child custody in a manner that will best suit the child – not the parents. They will also determine custody fairly. Keep in mind that courts do not favor the mother over the father, regardless of a child’s age or sex. Similarly, courts cannot deny a parent custody simply because of a disability, religious belief, or sexual orientation.
To determine what is best for a child, California courts will consider the following factors:
- Child’s age and health
- Emotional tie between parents and child
- Ability of a parent to care for the child
- History of violence or substance abuse
- Child’s tie to school, home and community
Those are only the tip of the iceberg. Some other factors that may be considered:
- Activities that the parent is involved in with the child
- Amount of time that each parent spends with the child
- Any negativity that may exist – such as arguments, shouting, etc.
- Specifics for each parent, such as personal reasons, absence from home, etc.
In most cases, “best interest of the child” means continued, frequent contact with both parents – something that can be accomplished with joint custody; however, that is not always the correct solution. In some cases, a parent may travel frequently for work, which may lead to a situation where sole physical custody but joint legal custody will work best for the family. Because each family is unique, it is important to work with a Los Angeles child custody attorney who can work with you to create the right solution for you and your family.
When joint physical custody is not awarded, it is important for fair visitation rights to be awarded to ensure both parents can maintain their parent-child relationship.
The court is required to see both parents have the opportunity to maintain a relationship with a child unless a parent is unfit. There are different kinds of custody that may be issued.
The following are possible legal and physical custody arrangements:
- Sole physical custody – This may be sought in cases in which your ex-spouse is a danger to your child, such as when the spouse has been abusive or neglectful or has substance abuse issues. I can petition to grant you full physical custody with limited or no visitation rights for the other parent.
- Joint physical custody – This allows the child to split his or her time between parents. I would be happy to discuss the many arrangements that are possible when parents seek joint custody of their child.
- Sole legal custody – If one parent is deemed unfit or is absent from the child’s life, the court may grant full decision-making authority to one parent.
- Joint legal custody – The preferred custody arrangement in California is one in which both parents share decision-making responsibility over their child. Under this arrangement, both parents have the authority to make important decisions regarding their child’s upbringing, including decisions about education, major medical care, religion, and more.
When it comes to resolving child custody matters, at Stolar & Associates, I encourage parents to work cooperatively to find an arrangement for shared physical and legal custody that enhances their relationship with their children. Whether you are going through a divorce, have never been married, or are involved in post-decree modification proceedings, I can help you craft a creative custody and visitation agreement that reflects your goals and wishes.
I may suggest a variety of strategies, such as:
- Involve grandparents to occasionally pick up at school or fill in another gap.
- Use technology! An agreement can include a provision that the custodial parent provide a phone, e-mail, or video conferencing so the noncustodial parent can have daily contact.
- Coach your child’s sports team, or volunteer to drive to a music lesson.
If you have reason to believe your child is in danger, you need a Beverly Hills child custody lawyer ready to do more than simply offer counsel. Every hour you wait may be fraught with anxiety for the child’s safety – but you may also be worried that any action you take could make the situation worse unless the law is on your side. At my firm, Stolar & Associates, A Professional Law Corporation, I understand what separated and divorced parents go through when they suspect abuse or other harmful activity around their children.
I will move quickly and take the strongest action available to protect your child. California courts prioritize children’s safety in all situations, but it can be difficult to know how to approach an emergency situation involving a parent who has lawful custody and/or visitation rights. My Beverly Hills family law firm is a resource for people across the cultural spectrum with emergency needs involving the protection of children. I have the resources to investigate the situation, begin building your case, and get into court, often within 24 hours.
I have extensive experience obtaining ex parte custody orders, protective orders, and modifications of custody and visitation orders based on evidence of:
- Physical child abuse or other forms of domestic violence
- Sexual abuse of a child
- Illegal drug activity or other criminal activity in the presence of minor children
- Knowledge of someone’s threat or plan to illegally leave California with a minor child
The Relationship Between Child Custody And Support
It is important to work with an attorney with the appropriate experience in crafting parenting plans to see that the plan provides you with all the benefits possible. The court’s order for child support will be partially based on the amount of time your child spends at each residence. That is where the relationship between visitation, custody, and support ends. A parent cannot withhold child support because of a breach of the visitation agreement. Likewise, missed support payments do not allow the custodial parent to deny visitation.
Beverly Hills Custody Lawyer Protecting Your Parental Rights
As a Beverly Hills child custody lawyer, I never lose sight of my goal: to help my client maintain the richest-possible relationship with his or her child. I often accomplish that through the use of a creative custody and visitation agreements. Many types of child custody options are available. I can discuss the various parenting plan options that are available to you.
Have questions regarding your case? Speak with a Los Angeles child custody attorney today!